Building the Canoe

The Molds are all attched to the strongback, a temporary keel is helping to keep them in place. As all my lumber used in building the strongback was salvaged from the Connecticut River banks it took quite a bit of fussing to make sure all the forms ware level. Now all I need is a squeezy bottle for the glue and I can begin to attach the planks to the molds.


I found a squeezy bottle and began to glue the planks to the mold. I am using 2 books as my guides to building this canoe. One is for the pro woodworker who wants his canoe to be a work of art, the other is by a High School shop teacher who builds durable canoes without a lot of fussiness to details. I combined data from both books to make my moulds and somehwere along the line messed something up as I discovered when I went to lay the 1st plank on the molds.

I had to jury rig extensions and spacers and then improvise and experiment with gluing and stapling techniques to get the planks to line up. At 1st I was a bit discouraged then discovered that half the fun is making it work despite the inherent errors in my molds. I have 6 strips in place on each side of the canoe. Ambiana and I today bought a coping saw to trim the ends and some more C-clamps to keep the planks in line while the glue sets.

I love my time spent in the basement with the trap door open and the sunlight filtering in as I listen to Red Sox Baseball or some rock and roll & work away toward the day when we can paddle as a family across to the island and set up camp for the night with the other fisherfolk; though by the time I am done (I am thinking July) the fish will be gone along with the fishermen.